Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Please respect my

All work exhibited here is my own design, unless otherwise stated, in which case I shall have credited the original author of that work. I am thrilled to be able to share my designs with you but would appreciate that you respect that these are my designs and do not copy and place them anywhere else online or use them for your own personal gain in any way.


Google Website Translator Gadget

Sunday 5 July 2015

TMC 11 Canvas

It’s time for our new challenge over at The Mirror Crack’d, a canvas.

I am lucky to have the most amazing team and they regularly put me to shame and today is not exception. I wish I had half the talent they have, but alas I just keep plugging away. Compared to them my canvas is very basic. However, it was still an effort for me to make it, so if you don’t think you can do this sort of thing, be like me and at least give it a go! You never know, you might surprise yourself.

11 Canvas 1

I started with a 7x 5 canvas because my main focus was going to attempt to be the face, and I didn’t want it lost on a larger one. I cannot draw to save my life so without the help of the fantastic Paperbabe Templates and Stamps I wouldn’t even have managed this, lol.

I started off by applying four shades of Distress paint to the canvas and then spritzing with water to get them to blend into one another. When it was dry I used the ‘short and fringe’ template to draw the basic shape and then painted over it with white titanium paint. Then I used the head and fringe templates to draw the basic head shape and her fringe. I gave everything apart from the hair a layer of Lyra Aquarell crayon in the palest skin tone, working up in tones to give some shading and definition. I have to be honest this was hard on the canvas because of the texture of the canvas and the wax crayons didn’t want to glide to easily over that surface. However, as the colours wipes off quite easily I was able to keep going until I was happy with it. The downside is that it still isn’t permanent even now!

The beauty of the Paperbabe system is that it also comes with stamps for the features. So I next did the eyes. I can see they are ever so slightly skew whiff, but as I used a permanent inkpad they were pretty much there and stopping there, lol. I opted for the plain circle around the iris to do the pupil, but there are many shapes in the stamp set including a lined one that looks very like a natural iris.

Next I tackled the hair. I did a rough wash of pale brown and then just added layer upon layer of Aquarell crayon to give some highlights to the hair.

The lips came next, not my finest hour, lol, and finally the nose… I had a great laugh initially because my nose looked like a moustache! But I finally managed to get a semblance of a nose, minus moustache by persevering with some polychromos pencils for shading.

The sentiment was stamped onto tissue paper with memento inks and then mod podged onto the canvas. I think the sentiment is apt, because you don’t have to be The Mona Lisa to be Awesome!!!

The white stars are texture paste through a stencil and the little gold swirls I used my immense talent, LOL, and drew in myself. I added some highlights in her hair with the gold pen I did the swirls with, and also under the sentiment.

I wish I had the talent to draw and/or paint, but failing that I highly recommend this system as the next best thing. Whilst she may not be the Mona Lisa, compared to my normal attempts that look like a five year old with broken fingers has drawn a stick figure, this is truly a masterpiece, and I am sure that with practice I could get better!

Just to add that I made the mistake of blanking out the coloured background with plain white acrylic paint, and I think I would have had a much more obliging surface if I had gessoed out the background.

At the risk of embarrassing myself I am entering this into:-

2 Creative Chicks – #28 Anything Goes
Altered Eclectics – July: Anything Goes
Craft My Life All Crafts Challenge – June/July: Anything Goes
Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge – July Take A Stamp Anything Goes
Crafty Individuals – July: Face Value
Decorate To Celebrate – #103 Anything Goes
Frilly and Funkie – July Something To Say
Left of Centre Creative Challenges – #85 A Splash of Paint
Rhedd’s Creative Spirit – July Anything Altered Art/Mixed Media Goes
Stamplorations Stencil Sunday and July Mixed Media Challenge – July Anything Goes
That’s Crafty – Wish Upon A Star

LIN W

21 comments:

  1. That's a very lovely face and canvas Lin, and thank you for entering the crafty Individuals Face challenge this month with it.. However I'm sorry, I don't think this entry will be allowed as you didn't put any Crafty Individuals stamp on it (which is required), did you?.. But thanks anyway, it's very beautiful. Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lin, this is just lovely !
    Hugs
    Willeke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your drawing talents, you are much better than me as I wouldn't even have tried, I admire you for what you have done. It is pretty, I love the colours and those eyes are great! Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy you're with us in the TIMI challenge from the Craft Stamper. Gorgeous project!
    xxx Ellie Knol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty canvas ..... Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your canvas Lin!!! It's so so pretty and true ;-). Thanks also for joining our Mixed Media Challenge over at STAMPlorations. Hugs, Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's WONDERFUL Lin. I have never heard of paperbabe but however you did this canvas - it turned out just LOVELY. Her eyes just draw you right into her beauty. So glad you created her. j.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous canvas, Lin! Thanks so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful canvas and love this expressive girl! Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month. Good luck. Rupa(DT)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your canvas Lin! Your painting skills are amazing! She IS a Mona Lisa to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty and I love her expression.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great canvas...your drawing is fine, you should see mine,lol...
    A fab entry for our challenge over at Altered Eclectics..x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just love your canvas. Thankyou so much for sharing with us at the Left of Center Challenge. Good Luck...Genny DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous canvas Lin ! The image you've created is wonderful ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, your drawing looks so beautiful Lin...you shouldn't see my portrait drawing, won't show, too lousy =D Your canvas looks so amazing with all great colors. I love it! Thank you for entering July Mixed Media challenge at STAMPlorations and I hope to see you again next month. Have a nice day :)
    Fondly,
    Asmah
    STAMPlorations DT
    Qinaahana Arts and Crafts {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  16. As someone who can't even draw stickmen, I have to say this is rather fab! Great colours too. Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  17. As someone who struggles with faces so much I applaud your gorgeous canvas! And isn't that a sentiment to live by! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful canvas Lin! You really did an amazing job with your facial features! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Something to Say' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and appreciate that you took the time to leave one. If you have a particular question you can always click the 'email me' link in the sidebar. Lin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails